Today, May 15, is MPS (Mucopolysaccharidosis) Awareness Day.
Sanfilippo Syndrome’s official name is Mucopolysaccharidosis Type 3, or MPSIII. Sanfilippo is part of a group of lysosomal storage disorders known as mucopolysaccharidoses or MPS.
The other related disorders are:
Subdivisions of Mucopolysaccharidoses
- MPS 1 H/S (Hurler/Scheie syndrome)
- MPS I H (Hurler disease)
- MPS II-(Hunter syndrome)
- MPS III A, B, C, and D (Sanfilippo syndrome)
- MPS I S (Scheie syndrome)
- MPS IV A and B (Morquio syndrome)
- MPS IX (hyaluronidase deficiency)
- MPS VII (Sly syndrome)
- MPS VI (Maroteaux-Lamy syndrome)
- ML II (I-Cell disease)
- ML III (Pseudo-Hurler Polydystrophy)
We spread awareness today, and everyday, in honor of all the children living with MPS, those yet to be born and the angels that are so missed.💜
What can you do to help today for MPS Awareness Day 2023? Tell someone about Sanfilippo or MPS, wear purple (the official color of MPS), or do a good deed for someone.
MPS Awareness Day is an international day of celebration to spread awareness of Mucopolysaccharidosis, held annually on May 15.